60+ Black & Latinx-Owned Craft Breweries + Resources (2020)
June 09, 2020
We have for too long ignored the social inequities created from our country’s past. And still, unfair systems, institutions, frameworks, and injustices take advantage of BIPOC in America and leave them behind – in every part of our society.
We must work to make America a more equitable place for the black, brown, trans, and other communities we have left behind. We must listen to and support the black and brown voices and businesses in our communities while confronting racial problems in ourselves and in our white culture.
The Absence of POC in the Craft Brewing Industry
Black Americans are 13.4% of the US population and a Brewers Association survey showed that Black Americans make up a similar percent – 12% – of craft beer drinkers. So why is there a huge disparity among black-owned breweries in the US?
In 2018, there were over 6,300 craft breweries in the United States. Mike Potter – founder of Black Brew Culture – estimated only around 50 of those were owned by Black Americans. That is less than 1%.
A few factors mentioned include:
- The overall institutionalized racism of owning property and businesses in America
- The influence the alcohol industry has had on the types of beer and spirits advertised to Black communities
- The inherent gentrification craft breweries and distilleries have on poor neighborhoods
Offer a food menu in your taproom, without a kitchen. 100% free for breweries like yours.
The #BlackIsBeautiful Initiative
The Black Is Beautiful campaign is a collaborative initiative among the brewing community in an attempt to bring awareness to the injustices that many people of color face daily by brewing a new recipe from the Weathered Souls Brewing Company.
They ask participating breweries to donate 100% of proceeds to local foundations that support police brutality reform and legal defenses for those who have been wronged, organizations that support equity and inclusive of POC, and commit to the ongoing support of equity and justice in America.
List of Black & Latinx-Owned Craft Breweries in the US
Our goal with this article is to show the inequities POC experience in America – across all parts of our society including craft brewing – and to showcase the breweries owned by Black and Latinx Americans.
Here is a running list of 58+ craft breweries owned by Black and Latinx Americans in 2020:
- Gravity BrewWorks – Big Flat
- Brejeria Company – Pico Rivera
- Chula Vista Brewery – Chula Vista
- Crowns & Hops Brewing Co. – Inglewood
- Progress Brewing – Los Angeles
- Speakeasy Ales & Lagers – San Francisco
- Urban Roots Brewing – Sacramento
- Warcloud Brewing – Los Angeles
District of Columbia
- Green Bench Brewing Co. – St. Petersburg
- 5 Rabbit Cervecería – Bedford Park
- Black Horizon Brewing Co. – Willowbrook
- Casa Humilde Cerveceria – Chicago
- Englewood Brews – Chicago
- Soundgrowler Brewing Co. – Tinley Park
- Vice District Brewing – Chicago
- Cajun Fire Brewing Company – New Orleans
- 67 Degrees Brewing – Franklin
- Brazo Fuerte – Watertown
- Brockton Beer Co. – Brockton
- Crue Brew Brewery – Raynham
- White Lion Brewing Co. – Springfield
- ONE Fermentary & Taproom – Minneapolis
- Nexus Brewery – Albuquerque
- DaleView Biscuits & Beer – Brooklyn
- Dyckman Beer Co. – New York City
- Harlem Blue Beer – New York City
- Harlem Brewing Co. – New York City
- Island to Island Brewery – Brooklyn
- Dirtbag Ales – Hope Mills
- Harlem Brew South – Rocky Mount
- Rocky Mount Brewery – Rocky Mount
- Spaceway Brewing – Rocky Mount
- Three Spirits Brewery – Charlotte
- Xicha Brewing – West Salem
- Harris Family Brewery – Harrisburg
- Mack Brewing Co. – Philadelphia
- Two Locals Brewing Co. – Philadelphia
- Blackman Brewing – Dallas
- DeadBeach Brewery – El Paso
- El Paso Brewing Co. – El Paso
- Islla St. Brewing Co. – San Antonio
- Ode Brewing – El Paso
- Weathered Souls Brewing Co. – San Antonio
- Métier Brewing Co. – Woodinville
Special thanks to Black Beer Travelers and Todd Alstrom of Beer Advocate for their existing resources that highlight breweries owned by POC in the US that gave us a starting point and reference for this article.
Additionally, here is an interactive map of craft breweries, craft-spirit creators, and craft-alcohol influencers with diverse backgrounds curated by Black Beer Travelers:
BIPOC Organizations in the Craft Brewing Community
- Black Beer Travelers – A community to support the craft beer and spirits community.
- Black and Brew Chicago – Chicago-nonprofit organization to promote diversity in the brewing community through education.
- Black Brew Culture – A Facebook community covering and promoting diversity in America’s craft beer community.
- Black Is Beautiful – Collaborative initiative in the brewery community to raise awareness for the social injustices POC face through a new line of beer that proceeds go back to supporting underprivileged communities.
- Craft Beer For All – A community working to make a more inclusive and equitable craft beer community complete with content, resources, discounts, and services.
Serve Food in Your Taproom, without a Kitchen!
2ndKitchen powers partnerships between breweries and nearby restaurants, allowing taprooms to offer a full food menu with exclusive food items found only in its taproom to customers without the overhead of an on-site kitchen – 100% free for craft breweries!
Join the conversation with thousands of customers and partners talking about the future of food service.
COVID-19 continues to spread across the United States while many tenants and landlords are wondering, “how do I ethically collect rent from my residents during COVID-19?” WHAT WE’LL COVER: Chapter 1: How Coronavirus Is Affecting Landlords Chapter 2: How Coronavirus Is Affecting Renters Chapter 3: How to Ethically Collect Rent During COVID-19 Chapter 4: How to Recoup Unpaid Rent From […]